Monday, April 20, 2009

Initial Impressions: Viewing Obama from Indonesia

On the occasions I encounter a talkative taxi driver, which is a few times each week, I am eager for what follows the “where do you come from” question. I answer “Amerika Serikat.” I then see the evidence of a smile in the eyes of the driver looking back in his rearview mirror. Accompanying the grin is a hearty exclamation “Obama!” The tone implies the wonder of coincidence—here’s an American in my taxi and the president of her country lived in this country. At least, I think that’s the tone. The driver will usually add that Obama went to school in Jakarta. I will usually ask if the driver likes Obama, and he will briefly answer "yes" (but this seems to be beside the point for some reason). While that’s the extent of the conversation, I enjoy these moments and am often left with renewed curiosity as to how Indonesians view our president.

In the wake of Obama’s election to the presidency, a fruit snack appeared stores shelves with Obama in the title and a drawing of him making a peace sign. I read an article in the Jakarta Globe about how these snacks did not pass through the equivalent of FDA tests and may contain harmful chemicals unfit for consumption. Sometimes there’s no time for such things when you’ve got a market eager for the goods. I think there’s evidence of a market for Obama-branded services as well. While Todd visited, we patronized a barber shop called “Obama.” It’s not geared to the Westerner. It’s located on a busy street in the north of the city (the tourist spots are in the south) and the prices do not reflect a Western clientele. Todd got his first hair cut in ages (he’s a do-it-himself kinda guy) and it was quite good.

As an American living abroad, I’m glad to know people like him. Apparently during her visit here Hillary fielded many questions from Indonesians who wondered when the president himself would be visiting Indonesia (that’s one way to unintentionally rub-in a loss). But, beyond my superficial observations, I don’t know much about what Indonesians think of Obama’s performance in office (more on that later?). I guess I don't know what Americans think of him lately either. I read bits about efforts to mend the relationship with Cuba, the release of torture memos, some proposed large-scale railway projects. But these messages are brief (dependent on internet connections). Just yesterday I listened to a podcast of a news program that I followed faithfully in the U.S. which provided a healthy dose of critique. It was a welcome change, in a way. I've been so accustomed to enthusiasm at the thought of him, that I was beginning to think he might, in fact, be flawless.

2 comments:

Holly Teetzel said...

Excellent observations about the "Obama effect" both here and in Indonesia. Yes, he's not perfect (which would be kind of scary really) but he's certainly trying - and is tackling some very tough areas. But, aren't you glad you didn't have to acknowledge a certain Dubya as our leader????? :-)
I look forward to seeing T's haircut on Sat. - and don't eat those Obama snacks!!
xoxoox

Todd said...

obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!