Saturday, May 23, 2009

Protesting Presumption

Indonesians have an expression that they use when they have not done something. Rather than saying tidak, or “no,” they say belum, which means “not yet.” I recall an early conversation I had with someone before I knew such a phrase existed. She had asked if I had kids and I said “no.” Then I asked if she had kids and she said, “no, I am not married…not yet.” I remember thinking, wow I wonder if that’s a statement of faith, she is not married now, but believes that she will be someday. Not yet. Interesting. And, I let it pass.

Later I realized she was translating a common Indonesian expression, one I use daily now. “Have you visited Bali?” Belum. “Have you tried Durian?” Belum. “Do you have kids?” Belum. While it’s a fine expression as a response to certain questions, for others it sounds presumptuous. For starters, “not yet” indicates desire. Secondly, it indicates probability. So what if I don’t want to go to Bali (just for the sake of argument)? Or what if I can’t have kids? Do I really need to use belum if something may or may not happen? This goes for marriage too. Why can’t a simple “no” suffice? [Because if you answer with “no” you will be corrected…it’s belum]

I started thinking about how Indonesians would reply to a situation that was seen as negative or undesirable. Have you been in a motorbike accident before? Have you ever lost your hand phone? It was as I was considering whether belum would be used in these sorts of situations that I realized Americans have something to say for the negative scenarios: “No…knock on wood!” So unless we take appropriate action by banging on a wooden surface (or something resembling wood), we suspect the bad may come our way. This kind of presumption sounds a bit more like cynicism. And, I don’t really get the wood thing.

I continue to use belum in all the correct scenarios. And I am aware that my feelings about it have more to do with the differences in cultural expectations for marriage and child bearing than the word itself. Interestingly, I suspect Indonesians may be seeking to protest too. There’s a catchy song on the Indonesian airwaves. All the lyrics are in Bahasa Indonesian, except for one line.

She sings “I am single and very happy.”

Take that, belum.

5 comments:

Holly Teetzel said...

Very thoughtful and though provoking piece, Meliss. The subtleties of languages are intriguing for sure. Is it any wonder people of different nationalities have a hard time getting along? I think I'll add belum to my vocab - in what I hope will be correct scenarios :-) and if you DO dry Durian, be sure to let us know! ewwwww

Holly Teetzel said...

I meant "thought" provoking - there we go with language again!

Todd said...

huh, that's funny. when people ask me if i've climbed everest i say "belum".

saya mao minom bintang de decombat saya.

Holly Teetzel said...

Saya what????

Becca said...

Hey Melissa! Your post on language is an intruiging one... Have you found out if people answer Belum in negative situations- or do they just say no? (Assuming they'd just say no).

I hope you're still having a great time- enjoy reading your posts so keep at it!