Saturday, August 15, 2009

Guess work

Admittedly, experimenting with foreign recipes in Indonesia is becoming a bit of a hobby. I realize it’s not at all sustainable if I need to buy (or ask people to send) imported ingredients. In the case of these Lemon Ricotta Cookies, I bought imported lemons, but the other ingredients are from Java. Go figure. I love the fact that the task requires reliance on intuition (in the absence of measuring tools) and openness to small-scale risk (much like learning a language, except a less public one).

It was earlier this year that I tried this recipe from Giada and I loved it. Since our new place is equipped with a pseudo-oven, I wanted to try to bake something. I asked my landlord to come up to our place and show me how to use the contraption. I didn’t realize that it was as straightforward as putting the box on the burner and then turning the burner on. That’s pretty much all there is to it.


While I had all the right ingredients, I lacked a mixer, measuring tools, a zester, and parchment paper. So in place of such I items I gave the batter a good stir, relied on my best judgment, zested with a sharp knife, and lined the tray with foil. After a few minutes of testing the pseudo-oven, I found a creature baking on one of the sheets. So I gave it another good cleaning before lopping on the ricotta dough.

The end result: zesty, undercooked, lemon pancakes! They typically are much more pillow-like. The pancake-like attribute of this batch probably owes itself to the pseudo-oven. I suspect it does not heat to 375 farenheit, but I’m only guessing.


2 comments:

Holly Teetzel said...

Meliss - you go girl! Love your fearlessness in the kitchen (Julia Child would be proud of you!) And whether the batter became cookies or pancakes, I bet it tasted good :-) What I'm wondering is, how did the "creature" taste?!? (RIP)

Anonymous said...

Hi nice blog! Just stopped by to ask you if you want to be an affiliate to my blog? If you add my link to yours I'll add your link to mine.

Thanks!
http://www.fatmoneynow.blogspot.com