Sunday, March 1, 2009

Departure and Arrival

For all the planning and preparation this trip has required, you'd think I'd know to plan for the actual departure. Todd and I arrived at LAX around 6:35 Friday morning so that he could drop me off before work. He needed to leave just after 7. I had falsely assumed that I'd be flying out of Tom Bradley, the international terminal, when I really needed to be at United, terminal seven. We had already parked, unloaded, and walked to Tom Bradley. In our pre-dawn rush Todd reframed the situation, suggesting the confusion was a welcome distraction from our departure from one another. Let's hope our parting was a little quicker, and perhaps less painlful.

It was somewhere over the Pacific in route to Tokyo that I had what felt like a small panic attack, but may have been attributable to typical discomforts one feels when flying. I think the symptoms resemble one another. My watch was still set for California time (another mistake), and I kept imagining Todd returning from work, the piles of items I left behind, and the cats' food dish that might need replinishing. I guess I was grieving a loss of the familiar and fearing the unfamiliar. I got up from my seat, had a little pep talk in the bathroom, and took Tylenol Simply Sleep (in case you are wondering this is only a sleeping agent and is not a pain reliever).

In some ways travel time allows for a transition of mindset. A layover in Singapore helps too. I arrived in Singapore around midnight Singapore time. As if I needed more reasons to love Singapore than my dear colleague, Leslie, the Singapore airport gave me another. I checked into a transit hotel (rooms in the terminal that are booked for 6 hour slots) where I slept horizontally again. In the morning I drank a cafe vanilla at Coffee Bean thinking it might be my last (but I later found out they are in Jakarta too). I decided to exchange my US dollars to rupiahs before flying to Jakarta. After I handed over the bills the conversation began:

"Miss are you a millionaire?"

[I was expecting some personal questions from Indonesians, but not of the financial nature and not from a stranger in Singapore] "Um what do you mean?"

"I am just asking about your financial background," he said slightly sheepishly.

"Oh well, no, I am definitely not a millionaire." [Where is this going?]

"Now you are," he said grinning.

Relieved, I started laughing and he did too. Rupiahs hit the million mark when you exchange $100. Not only did I feel like a millionaire after rest and coffee, I was one. I felt ready to depart for Jakarta.

Flying over the islands that make up Indonesia, I remembered the things that excited me about this trip. I remembered that there is often joy in the unfamiliar and the only way to know for sure would be to try it out. Now in Jakarta, I am still feeling pretty good. With the help of Nelly from the Fulbright commission, I have tended to some errands and acquired a handphone. These tasks alone would have taken a day if I had attempted them. Leaving one place and merging into another will continue to be my task for the days and weeks to come. I am not sure what that will mean, but so far the early mishaps have been met by more recent fortunes. And for that I am very grateful.

7 comments:

CalBadger said...

Diana and I are thankful that you arrived in Indonesia okay, both physically and mentally. I get anxiety attacks when I go to Starbucks, hallucinating all the while that they'll be closed! Have faith in yourself and your dreams then all will be well! As for Todd, he has a kazillion members in his support system, and we'll keep watch (control?) over him! Missing you, I'm afraid, will only resove itself when you two are back together again!

Unknown said...

Traveling mercies, my friend. Thank you so much for inviting us to participate in your journeys -- literal, spiritual, etc -- in Indonesia. Love and prayers, Amy

Unknown said...

thanks for your words Melissa. I can relate to your reflections of leaving home...hang in there, you are in my thoughts...

Stacey said...

I'm so glad that you arrived safely, darlin'. And even though you have 10 million things ahead of you to do, remember to savor each moment and find peace in it. The rest will take care of itself.

TheRealSpiceGirl said...

Selamat Pagi Melissa our new Millionairess, Apa khabar? enjoy the java but jangan terlalu banyak minum kopi ya? because it is very kuat. Which is probably what you're used to :) You brought me "home" when you used the word handphone vs cellphone. Love it! Take care and thanks for including us in your journey.
We're thinking and praying for you and of course dear Todd.
So Chomel, Good morning, or is it night.

Holly said...

Melissa - You are loved by people on all sides of the world! Glad you're getting settled in for this chapter of life. I'm looking forward to following your journey and keeping you in prayer. I love you! Holly

Rachel said...

I love that Coffee Bean has made it to Jakarta, but not Nashville. ; ) I'm glad to hear you are safe and sound! I'm looking forward to hearing more about yur adventures...

Love,
Rachel