Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In the neighborhood

The past few days brought a whirlwind of visits to various offices--police, internal affairs, ministry of research and technology, and immigration. I am still following up with these offices this week. Here are some photos of what I have seen of Jakarta thus far. The photo below was taken from the roof of my hotel.




Between the rain showers yesterday I visited Obama's childhood school, here in the vicinity. As you can imagine, most every taxi driver in the city knows where the Besuki school is located. Beyond the plaque on the front gate, there's nothing screaming "US president attended this school," which is what I was I was doing (in my head).







5 comments:

theresia-anne said...

Dear Melissa,

Enjoy Jakarta, it is a beautiful and unique city (even better if there's no traffic jam).
I am missing the city, but not the weather.
Take care.

Holly Teetzel said...

How very cool to visit Obama's school - I'm sure they could hear you screaming in your head :-)
Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Keep an eye out for the Javan rhinos....I hear they are pretty rare.

CalBadger said...

That evening photo is awesome.....I think Todd had better watch out OR take credit for teaching you his photographic skills! By the way, who's Barack Obama?--sounds like a new terrorist!

Todd said...

coolio yo. one suggestion though....make your videos longer and show yourself in them as well.